Educational Therapy (2nd grade – adult)
NILD Educational Therapy® was developed to treat assumed, underlying causes of learning difficulties rather than simply treating the symptoms. It is a true therapy in that it aims the intervention just above the student’s level of functioning and raises expectations for performance.
- Students receive two 60-minute session s weekly of intensive and prescriptive educational therapy (or a modified version as necessary) contracted for the entirety of the school year.
- Sessions include a variety of techniques designed to address students’ specific areas of difficulty & stimulate perceptual processing weaknesses. The goal is to improve thei r overall ability to think, reason, focus, problem solve and process information.
- Techniques emphasize basic skill areas such as reading, writing, spelling and math while strengthening executive functions.
- Educational Therapy targeted at Dyslexia and other reading disorders. Reading RX is a comprehensive program including intervention for oral and written language, receptive and expressive processes, beginning with phonemic awareness and moving through to fluency and comprehension.
- Educational Therapy targeted at Dyscalculia and other math disorders. In this game-based intervention, students’ foundational math concepts will be strengthened while thinking and problem solving is challenged in an atmosphere where math anxiety is reduced and thinking is maximized.
- Similar to Educational Therapy and designed for younger students. SEARCH is an early identification testing instrument for children 5 and 6 years of age, and is designed to survey perceptual and neuropsychological functions basic to learning. TEACH includes instructional tasks designed to address the SEARCH profile of assets and deficits. Working systematically, students weaknesses are strengthened.
Tutoring with a therapeutic twist. Content and concepts are reviewed and re-taught as necessary using dynamic Socratic questioning, inductive reasoning and the dynamic, interactive language of educational therapy with a goal of understanding, mastery and application.
- Sessions last 1 hour & begin with an individualized review of areas of academic concern and continue with brain-building (cognitive exercises). The goal is not homework completion, but understanding and independent handling of concepts.
Reading, wRiting or aRithmetics Lab
- Designed to be tailored to the need of each student and their respective areas of specific need, this service assists with everything from handwriting to research papers, and foundational maths and reading to classic literature and Calculus. Focus is not on improving grades or test scores directly, but on personal proficiency.
- Preparation for high-stakes tests can be overwhelming. We tailor sessions to prepare learners academically and emotionally by emphasizing each student’s high-value. From school entrance to college board exams, including the HSPT and SAT, we focus on strategic thinking, reasoning, and problem-solving, NOT merely tips & tricks.
- Our staff psychologist provides IQ, neurologic and behavioral evaluations off-site as needed and at a reduced fee. In-house, we provide formal academic testing as well as a battery of informal evaluations using the Woodcock-Johnson III NU. In most cases, psycho-educational evaluations are necessary in order to determine a student’s cognitive strengths and weaknesses. We require these evaluations prior to beginning most therapeutic interventions we provide.
- We are an authorized Administrator for the Stanford Achievement and the IOWA Basic Skills tests as well as the OLSAT and CogAT.
Wonder Academy (WA) is a homeschool alternative, cooperative program created by Light Up Learning educators that sets itself apart from traditional educational co-op organizations by combining proven educational therapy-based methodologies and integrated, thematically-structured curricula into a learning environment.
We are also a non-denominational, faith community that strives to truly understand and practice God teachings as expressed in the Bible. Informed by scientific research on cognitive functioning, childhood development, and psychological theory and practice, WAutilizes methodology created by the National Institute for Learning Development (NILD) to provide exceptional education for its students that translates into both a stimulating academic education as well as real-world applications.
Specially designed to meet the needs of those with specific learning disabilities, coursework is individualized for each learner while simultaneously incorporating group activities. WA is not a “program” so much as it is a philosophy for delivering any curriculum. Because of this,WA can meet the needs of students across the learning spectrum, from those with specific learning needs to those who are “gifted.”
IEP and Parent/Teacher Conferences
- If you need assistance understanding and/or initiating an Individual Educational Plan (IEP) or 504 Plan for your child/student, conferences may be scheduled to discuss these processes and specific needs/goals. In this way, we can collaborate with parents and therapists, teachers, etc. for the benefit of the learner.
The Lemonade STAND – Freshly Squeezed Advice for a Life of Learning
Workshops & Presentations for Parents and Educators
- A variety of workshops are provided for the purpose of bringing awareness to the community concerning SLD’s (specific learning disabilities) and educational therapy interventions. Different topics may be discussed with the goal of offering support and hope to families and education providers. Emphasis is placed on communication and collaboration. See our EVENTS page to find those that are up and coming!
- Referrals for additional resources are provided as necessary to local agencies, community programs, and professionals.